Originally an April Fools
, the vinyl Cyborg Head Cap allows magnets to be embedded in its surface, allowing easier attachment of meow ears or other cybernetic augmentations or beast horns.
I posted the free cybernetic meow ear 3D STL files to the Free Stuff section for you
There are a few gotcha's with this product, so let's dive into the reasons not to buy ;-)
Reasons Not To Buy
- Magnets are not included - use the search term "small round magnets" on Amazon or Daiso and look for ones that are 5mm in diameter and 2-3 mm thick.
- The April Fool version had an SD card slot to hide naughty jpegs. However, we had difficulty casting the vinyl with such a deep slot, so we removed it. Folks can still hide naughty jpeg SD cards inside the head instead.
- Stronger magnets of 3mm thickness are ideal, but they won't sit flush with the surface of the head cap. This should not pose a problem if the goal is to cover the head with a wig.
- Magnets of 2mm thickness will sit flush with the head cap but may not be strong enough to attach items over the wig - unless you can find really strong magnets at 2mm thick.
- Inserting magnets into the magnet sockets will require you to wiggle the magnets to stretch the vinyl. The magnets may pop out if you don't glue them in place.
- Make sure you check the magnet's polarity before setting them in the sockets, or your meow ears may hover over the wig.
- If you don't glue the magnets before attaching the cap to the head, you may end up squishing the magnets out of their sockets.
- Please be wary that magnets may interfere with medical devices such as pacemakers.
- The head cap will not be a perfect fit as all Smart Doll heads have slightly different rim sizes.
- The plan is to eventually ship all Smart Dolls with a Cyborg Head Cap - but I'm not sure when.
- As the rim of each Smart Doll head is tilted quite far back, placement of augmentations is limited to the position of the magnet sockets. If you are a 3D modeler, you can design magnet placement to be further away from the center of your augmentations.
- Did I forget to mention that magnets are not included? ;-)